Friday, August 17, 2012


Tricks and Tantrums

I've relocated to Planet Alien. That’s my new address. Why? I am now treading the parts of an unknown world armed with knowledge from theoretical expert No. 1 "What to Expect when you're Expecting" and of course practical expert No. 2 "my mum". Still, no babies are alike and my little one definitely does not follow in my footsteps; at least that's what my mum tells me. 

 I am literally amazed at the number of tricks she already has up her sleeve. I mean it was just the other day; I actually saw her giving my sister a wink. Followed by a cheeky smile. She’s only a few days old but already knows how to encircle her tiny little fingers around my thumb. And I also caught her giving my sleeves a tiny tug. I tried balancing her feeding bottle on the pillow whilst getting her to drink her milk and she successfully managed to do that too.

I’ve always seen other babies scared of the water. They howl and cry when mummies try giving them their baths. But not my girl! She’s a pro, through and through! She splashes water all over; loves to shampoo and adores lathering in her baby body wash. She turns into one of the Roman babies, bundled in her bath towel. We have to have her milk ready to be served to her immediately after bundling her into the towel. She won’t even wait to get dressed. Post the drinking session is nose powdering time. A new dress ( and I literally mean she has tons of new dresses) comes out of the closet; by the way; she already has dedicated closet space. Did I have that when I was a baby too? Got to remember to ask my mum.

With all these chores out of the way; it’s nap time! 

Now that I’ve discussed all the good bits; this does not in any way mean that my darling daughter is an angel. Her tantrums are loud enough for even my neighbors to hear; not just at night but even during the day. Especially during the times when I have to change her nappy and she’s almost on the verge of dozing off. Again, I literally tear my hair out when she refuses to drink the required amount of milk. No amount of coaxing or pleading will get her to take to the bottle again. Even I want to; I can’t forcefully put it into her mouth either. She just closes her little lips so tight! She's going to one stubborn kid. 

Frustrations of being a first-time mother. But, she’s a bundle of amazement. Every day is a surprise package and I can’t wait to see what she does next.




1 comment:

  1. She is lovely! Just let her lead the way (she will only eat when hungry & stop when full up), trust in your instincts and you all will be fine. Happy mothering! x

    ReplyDelete