Wednesday, August 8, 2012


First day Hiccups and Decisions

The one thing that I was really looking forward to, now that I've come back home, is to spend a full 24 hours with my daughter. During the first eventful evening and in the midst of all the shopping and baby paraphernalia, time went by pretty quickly. My first day at home was almost over; which I got my sister to again video tape; excuse being my poor memory. And I also would love my daughter to watch what her first day at home was like, when she's a little older. 

By the way, let me clarify that I've actually shifted to my mum's place. Reason being, I'm no baby expert and neither is hubby dear. So really can't take the chance of doing everything myself. That would be a big risk which I wasn't prepared to take, just yet! Maybe, I'll be more confident when I decide I want a sibling for my daughter.

I was instructed by the pediatrician about feeding the baby on demand. What a major disruption to my schedule. I mean, I just fed her like an hour ago and she's hungry again! I've been reading up on some info on the net where there is still an ongoing debate about feeding the baby on schedule or on demand. I guess it’s okay for homemakers or mums who are on a long term sabbatical to opt for the second. But for working mums, it’s going to be a nightmare. After the first few attempts, I decide to put her on a 3 hour schedule.

Next thing on the list - nappy changes. Again, a difficult one to crack. Plus, in the middle of this scorching summer in India, I'm afraid that my daughter will get severe heat or nappy rashes. Judiciously, and also an environmentally friendly solution, I choose cloth diapers, at least during the day. I realize it’s a lot of washing up at the end of the day, but on the whole it’s a much better option. I depend on Pampers for nights, just so that I can get at least 3 hours of sleep at a stretch. 

My greatest worry as night draws closer, especially after my very surprising night-time experience at the hospital, is how long my darling daughter actually sleeps at a stretch, or will she sleep at all. Since, she was kept in the Hospital Nursery (as that is the rule in India), I don't really know her sleeping patterns. And again, I've heard of horrific stories about babies not sleeping at all throughout the entire night. 

She's in a playful mood. Dinner over. A later supper, over and done with. Two happy-nappy sessions pass by. It's 2am. She's awake and so am I. I sing, I rock. Nothing works for now. My mum tries some techniques too, but does not succeed. At 2.30am, my dad walks into the room, makes a weird face at her and says, "Abracadabra Gili Gili "... or something similar to this.

Magic. She starts dozing off. It's 3am. And that's how my first day ends. 




2 comments:

  1. haha!! Yes, I remember those sleepless nights and constant demands for milk! You did good for the first night!
    Hope you keep writing about your experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck is all I can say. Trying to get them into a routine is tough. But keep trying. Switch off the lights at night and keep it bright and sunny in the day. Oops.. I'm advising. I shouldn't. I know you'll work out a system soon enough. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete