Friday, August 3, 2012

Home. New Role. New Life.


I figured that coming back home would change things in my favor. That wasn't to be. Why? All this time at the hospital, I didn't actually have to look after the baby as much; apart from her regular snack times and mid-night visits, it was fairly quiet. But now that I'm home, there aren't any Nurses to look after her. She's not going to be a surprise night time visitor anymore. She is going to be with me 24/7. 


Another set of realizations dawns upon me. I've just been promoted to a new role in life. The job description includes:


1. Full-time nurse
2. Provider of meals at regular intervals & Burps
3. Cleaner: When she decides that she's had enough and just wants to vomit it out
4. Nappy changer: Every 3 to 4 hour intervals
5. Bath-time assistant: My mum is the real expert here
6. Singer: In case she wants to be sung to sleep
7. Expert Rocker: For the times she wants to be rocked to sleep
8. Entertainer: Making funny and weird faces, for the times she's bored and requires me to entertain her. And   by the way, I am damn good at this.


My very first day home and I am practically swarmed with phone calls. Everyone is just so excited. Especially my friends who don't have kids yet. New Daddy goes on a shopping spree and I see a new Baby Cot, Diaper Bag, Baby Clothes and tons of other stuff arrive in the evening. Instructions are read out, and with a few trial and error attempts, hubby darling and my sis manage to set up the cot. Even a cot mobile appears from nowhere. I just stare, flabbergasted! I mean, she can't even look that far yet. But who am I to argue! My daughter should get the best of what her daddy can afford. Nothing less will do. I reckon, that's the reason why they get pampered in the first place. Hmmm......Mums, always the arch enemies, for daughters! 


Another revelation! Babies really do make great shoppers out of their dads. He probably wouldn't spend half that amount of time shopping for my birthday gift. But when it comes to his dainty darling daughter, the ball game changes completely. He has all the time in the world, just to sit and look at her. 


I see everything in a new light. My husband, my family and even me. Life has changed drastically and I am still running hard to catch up.

1 comment:

  1. Lolz... you can't stop the dad. Mom-to-mom advice.. Let him be. Learn to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete