Friday, July 27, 2012


Hospital to Home.....At last!

The day finally comes when my doctor decides it’s time to get rid of me; meaning send me back home! I do confess that I have been nagging her for the past few days to discharge me, so she finally comes around. Can't wait to be home, in my familiar surroundings. A seven day hospital stay was way too long. I guess, it serves me right for having chosen an old-school gynecologist. A brilliant one, no doubt about that! 

It's kind of funny really, that I am going home with a new addition to my family. I mean, only a week back, it was just me and my husband. I was the center of everybody's attention for the past nine months and now everything has undergone such a quick transformation. The focus has completely shifted to someone totally new. Sometimes it's just a little hard to catch up with it. 

Anyways, my mum was with me at the hospital already, so she helped me pack all my stuff. A quick call to hubby dear to inform him of the good news. He arrives pretty soon with my dad and sister. Everyone is excited. Secretly, I feel a little jealous. But I suppose, I've had my share of this full-on attention when my mum brought me home from the hospital too.

The nurse comes into my room with the baby. A big folder in her hand. Another list of instructions from her. I hope I manage to remember it all. Or it’s my mum who’s going to be my savior. Darling daughter has been bathed and her hair combed perfectly. A cute, new, pink colored dress. I made sure it was pink. A little stereotyped but I don’t really care. New socks and booties. A small matching bonnet too. I could just look at her for hours. Was this beautiful little girl really mine, for life?

All formalities complete, I am ready to leave. I wanted to etch this journey in my mind. I have a pretty awful memory and everyone in my family knows that. Sufferers are my mum and husband mostly. My solution to the problem, of course, just video tape it. I load my sister up with a list of photographing instructions, right angle, wrong angle and tons of other angles. End up confusing her more. 

The car is brought around to the hospital driveway. With the baby in my arms, I slide in. My baby is out of her cocoon and is now a part of the real world. We take the shortest route possible and arrive home quickly. My grandparents are waiting in anticipation to see her for the very first time!

Home at last! My grandmother is brought into the living room in her wheelchair. She wants to take her great-granddaughter in her arms. She kisses her on the forehead. She looks up at me and says, "I never thought I'd be able to see this day. God has been very kind to me. Thank you for this beautiful gift!"

And I couldn't have asked for anything more.




8 comments:

  1. Lovely.....read all of them....amazing work keep posting more..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Shumael... great that you liked the posts... keep following for new stuff!

      Delete
  2. Hi, congratulations on being a mom! Hope you keep writing! Do visit my blog when you get a chance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a ton for your comment! Will definitely look at your blog soon. Do keep following my future posts....

      Delete
  3. Lucid writing and must say intriguing...way to go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonnet, booties awww... and 'hair combed'.. lucky her. My twins had none to comb...:-D. Have you decided on a name?

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughter had tons of hair at birth... i think is because of all the spinach soup my mum made me have... her name is ahona myra!

    ReplyDelete