Tuesday, July 24, 2012


My surprise night time visitor........

No it was not my darling husband with a Chinese take-away. Although I was pretty tired of the tasteless hospital food and did on a number of occasions over the past few days think of begging someone to smuggle in some tasty food. Even home cooked food would be welcome. I did. No one agreed. Even my friends wouldn't help. Traitors. Just wait till you have your babies and I will be waiting to take my revenge. 

Alas! Disappointment persists. I will have to make do with "Hospital Food" until I reach home. 

Coming back to the identity of my surprise night time visitor, it wasn't my mum who ought to have been there that night, but wasn't. I was alone in the room. It was only a couple of days since the delivery and I was just getting used to some form of sleep with all the tubes attached, here and there. I do seem be to cribbing a lot over the lack of sleep, haven't I? Since it’s just the beginning I reckon it will take me some time to get used to the baby routine.

I see a ghostly figure at 12 in the night creeping into my room. I try to figure out who it might be. Nurses don't come unless called to the room and all my medications for the day were over and done with. 

And then I hear a chuckle! The light is switched on and my dear daughter is still awake. I demand an explanation from the nurse. Why is she isn't asleep? With glaring eyes, the nurse tells me that, "She's been in a hyper playful mood and refuses to sleep. In fact, her teeny weenie baby laughs were creating a minor ruckus and waking up all the remaining babies in the nursery." Opppssssss! Wasn't expecting that for sure.

Instant flashback! On one of my last visits to the gynecologist she asked me to lie down for a check-up. With her stethoscope, she's exploring my baby bump to check the baby's heartbeat. Normally it wouldn't really take much time. However, it was not one of the normal days. I find her stethoscope making multiple rounds of my baby bump. So after a long 5 minutes, I ask her what the problem is. And she said, "The baby is playing football." So I ask her why. She answered, "Every time I place the stethoscope to hear the heartbeat, she turns." The entire process took a solid 10 minutes to complete.

That should have rung warning bells. But obviously I didn't think much of it then. Earth calling mummy, the nurse hands her over to me. Maybe I can get to sleep, she says. Was she joking? If she couldn't do it, I definitely wouldn't know how. I've only been a mum for 2 days. Don't forget that! 

Surprise! Surprise! I find the little one dozing off with a smile on her face. The nurse gives me a wink. Maybe it's all in the magic touch of a mother's hand.  


9 comments:

  1. Your baby is adorable God Bless her. I saw your post on parenting illustrated with crappy pictures and thought of visiting your blog and checking it out. I started blogging myself 2 months ago if you would like to visit my blog as well I won't post a link so it won't be considered as spam it is mariasupermom.blogspot :D Good Luck with your Blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maria. Do keep following my blog. More interesting stuff to come!

      Delete
  2. You are Blessed with a real angel, she is so sweet and always ready to entertain you specially.........:)
    She will heal your all pain for sure...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a full on entertainment package 24/7.... what more can I ask for... definitely saving me lots on cable bills!

      Delete
  3. Uh, so we gonna a get Miss Pele or Miss Maradona very soon..wat's say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely on the cards for now....but I can say for sure that she's gonna be a soccer fan...already has a ManU baby grow!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That smile is priceless. Keep the posts coming.

    ReplyDelete