Saturday, July 21, 2012


5 am Wake-up Calls......

Do not presume from the title that I've purchased one of those digital, hi-tech radio alarms, I haven't. Neither am I in a hotel where I've requested for a wake-up call from the Reception. On the contrary, what I have invested in, is something much more long term. It requires no battery changes or any maintenance costs.  

Still guessing? It’s my daily 5am feeding wake-up call. I've always been a late riser all my life. I love my sleep. I want my sleep. This is not what I bargained for in the process of having a baby. But there's not much I can do about it. My day has begun. 

The nurse brings her in, bundled and already crying out loud for her early morning breakfast. She is handed over to me and under the nurse's strict instructions; I start my very first feeding session for my darling daughter. Both of us are novices at the job, or that's what I think. It's a trial and error method, until you strike the right balance. 

Honestly, I am pretty scared; but she's not. Many things running through my mind; which, by the way, is still not functioning with precise clarity. I don't want to choke her or over feed her. Yes! I know about these issues, because I have read tons of stuff on the internet. 

Blurry-eyed, I stare at her in awe. She's more confident at it than I am. She knows exactly what do. Who’s taught her these skills? Maybe God! Or maybe it’s just something purely in-born. And I swear by God, is she quick at it! 10 minutes and she's done. I talk to her, coochie-coo her, and she looks up at me and smiles. "I'm done for now Mummy. But I promise to be back in two hours". Cheeky monkey, isn't she?


Indication! Burp time! Now that's a real difficult job. Again, the nurse gives me another list of strict instructions and this time a demo is included in the package too. I look at my mum, who, by the way, has graciously accepted to be my night time companion at the hospital. My dear mum gives me a reassuring nod. I understand that it's time to take this important step forward. And I do!


Not very good at it the first time, but I'm sure I will get better at it. My idea of perfect execution will not work every time. Each day is a new learning curve for my baby and me. We are just getting to know each in the real world. 

Suddenly I hear, "Buurrrrrrrrrrrrrrppppp." And time stands still.


6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing these experiences with us! I quite exactly know what u mean now...my li'l boy has been teaching me all this and we are both learning and bonding with each other with every passing day...and I am loving this experience:) (not the sleepless nites though :p but have learnt to accept it as a part of the whole "package"!!!! But I have been still struggling on the "burrrp" everytime :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Burrp needs some time to perfect....don't worry... it will happen!

      Delete
  2. Awesome!!! This is going to be very useful for mums-to-be!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trying to make my nerves steady for all these in future..........:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was so sweet. I had twins and my younger one took ages to learn. And the burping OMG.. it kept us awake for hours together till the doc told us sometimes they just don't!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, I can totally relate to this experience....burping is hard.... and when they don't.. its a nightmare.... just thinking about what went wrong!

    ReplyDelete